Sunday, December 28, 2014

Two Letters That Control You

Fear is a dirty word. But what's even worse is that tiny, seemingly insignificant word that is almost always behind fear. The cause of nearly every single terror is "if."
If and then and might. If I do this then that might happen. If you ask me, that's a pretty shaky phrase to base even the smallest of decisions on. But we do it, we all do it, almost daily. And we condition ourselves this way, too. The "if" in question is often pulled from a "then" that has already occurred once before in life. Then, then, then... why you gotta stick around in the corners of my brain? It doesn't even matter if we're over the specific "then." We don't forget the ways in which we never want to feel again. So, we "if" ourselves right out of actions that could just make up for all of that misery the former "thens" have caused. I don't want to be that way... I wont. I'll no longer play it safe. I see no reason to go anywhere half way.  Holding the potential for something amazing and missing out on it for fear of two little letters is tragic. I want to feel fireworks and I won't settle for sparklers.

No comments:

Post a Comment